Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Classroom is no Place for Games?

Image result for kahoot memeKahoot.com certainly earns a spot on my list of resources. Although it is not what I would call a typical resource, I have experienced first hand how effective the website can be in a middle grades classroom. When I attended grade school, we did not use much technology. In fact, I had only seen Kahoot once prior to observing a science class at Hilsman Middle here in Athens. Needless to say, that one time was definitely not successful. However, the second time around, I observed children actively engaged in class. They were eager to answer the questions because it was on a platform that they could relate to. Kahoot allows teachers to present their materials in the form of a game. Once the children log on, they are allowed to answer each question before the timer goes off. Kahoot then shows the right answer. I especially liked the fact that it showed how many got the answer right and how many did not without displaying which child it was. This allows the teacher to assess the class without the children feeling the embarrassment of not getting the answer correct. This also helps the children feel comfortable because it remains anonymous. As a result, the teacher is able to get 100% participation. Additionally, Kahoot records the scores of each individual student for the teacher's sake. I will definitely be using Kahoot in my classroom no matter the content area.
Image result for kahoot gif
(239)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Lainna,
    I found this a great resource also! I was excited by how well it worked in Ms. Skinner's classroom (although she is so skillful, that may have something to do with it). I liked the flexibility and that kids could go back and play again at home against their previous games to try to review for a test. My eyesight became lousy during middle school, so I didn't always use the correct answers when I studied from my notes. This would help a student who didn't take the best notes.
    (92)

    ReplyDelete

The Final Countdown...

“What in the world is LLED 3530?” I was completely puzzled as my advisor read the list of classes I would be taking. I remember thinking to ...