Monday, October 16, 2017

Integration of Knowledge and Ideas (Text Set)

Related imageI have decided to center my text set around the Integration of Knowledge and Ideas portion of the Georgia Standards of Excellence for 8th graders. There are three standards listed under this heading, however, two of them especially grabbed my attention. ELAGSE8R17 requires the instructor to teach the students how to “evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of using different mediums (e.g., print or digital text, video, multimedia) to present a particular topic or idea.” ELAGSE8R19 requires students to learn how to “analyze a case in which two or more texts provide information on the same topic and identify where the texts disagree on.” Because I believe that the two of these standards are inextricably connected in a sense, I would like to tackle both of them in my text set. In my opinion, ELAGSE8R19 can be used to prove or examine ELAGSE8R17. Students will use an example of how two texts tell the same story from completely different perspectives to identify some advantages and disadvantages of using different means of presenting information. This text set will be instrumental in not only fulfilling the requirements delineated in the standard, but also teaching students the importance of thinking for themselves amongst other literary skills. 


Related image
202

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Countdown...

“What in the world is LLED 3530?” I was completely puzzled as my advisor read the list of classes I would be taking. I remember thinking to ...