Monday, October 30, 2017

Jazz It up a Little

This piece of art was created by an American artist, William Halsey, in 1937. As soon as I saw the beautiful painting, I immediately thought of jazz music. Ironically, Halsey entitled the piece “Jazz.” I was drawn to the colors that were used as well as the almost abstract feel. This painting exudes music and emanates poetry. There are so many different angles that one might take when implementing this piece into an English/Language Arts classroom. I would have my students write a ballad inspired by Halsey’s work. As I stood in the museum and studied “Jazz,” I wished that I had a notebook and pen to write a short ballad myself. I would also have students research various jazz artists and write or create a visual presentation explaining why they believe this painting depicts the work of the musician or singer of their choice.

If I were in a social studies class, I would have my students research the origin of the genre in addition to different jazz artist and composers and their contributions to American history. I would help students learn and understand that jazz music was an essential component of American history, particularly African American history.


202


1 comment:

  1. Hey Lainna! I love your idea of having your students write a ballot. I think music is another great art form that can be tied into our classrooms, especially considering the relationship between music and poetry.This piece of art elicits a strong emotion and I think all students would be able to transcribe that into words. WC 56

    ReplyDelete

The Final Countdown...

“What in the world is LLED 3530?” I was completely puzzled as my advisor read the list of classes I would be taking. I remember thinking to ...